- California's recent severe drought provided the impetus for a report authored by UC Hastings graduating third year students Michelle Firmacion ('15) and Ellis Raskin ('15). California Law at the Intersection of Water Use and Land Planning surveys laws in both doctrinal areas, taking a hard look at the potential for aligning these disparate approaches into a more coherent framework to meet the challenge of a water-constrained state. The report also examines efforts by local jurisdictions to manage new well drilling by moratoria; the possibility of improving the coordination requirement in general plans; and, the untapped potential of the Sustainable Groundwater Management Act to coordinate land use planning and water use.
- The Center is pleased to announce its most recent updates to the CHILI database, the nation's only curated and cross-referenced set of California health privacy and security laws, maintained in behalf of the California Office of Health Information Integrity.
- At the SF Ethics Comission's December 2014 meeting, Sally Hong (`15) and Lena Germinario (`16) presented the Commission with a series of Fact Sheets designed to promote compliance with San Francisco's recently amended Lobbyist Ordinance. For more information visit the Center's Governance page. The Fact Sheets are available at the SF Ethics Commission website.
- In June 2015 the Center hosted a conference on Administrative and Public Environmental Law at UC Hastings. This conference marked the Center's three year anniversary of partnering with the Public Law Section of the State Bar of California, as well as the 15th year that the Center hosted a major conference on a topic directed at public lawyers. Chancelor and Dean Frank Wu and the Center's Emeritus Director, David Jung, presented the opening remarks.
- The Center has published its second interview in a series highlighting UC Hastings alumni who participated in the Center's clinics and went on to work in Government or Public Law. This interview features Rosailda Perez (`12), Deputy Attorney General, California Department of Justice, San Francisco, who participated in the Center's Legislation Clinic taught by the Center's Associate Director of Legislation, Michael Salerno.
- The first interview features Chelsea Maclean (`05), Associate, Holland and Knight, who participated in the Center's Local Government Clinic. These interviews were conducted by the Center's Academic Program Coordinator, Rachel Goodman.
About the Center
Through the Center, you can:
Learn about opportunities to study Government Law at UC Hastings: through the Local Government Clinic and the Legislation Clinic in Sacramento.
Learn about the Public Law Research Institute’s cutting edge research on topics relevant to government lawyers
Learn about the Center's conferences or events, or see materials from a past event.
Become involved in the Center’s work.
Help support the next generation of government-minded lawyers: Make a Donation!