The Public Lawyer's Role in Ensuring the Integrity of Public Institutions
On October 23, 2009 The Municipal Law Institute of the League of California Cities and UC Hastings Center for State and Local Government Law presented the Thirteenth Annual Cities on the Cutting Edge Conference.
The following program materials are available for reference:
- Kathleen Clark, Ethical Issues Raised by the OLC Torture Memorandum, 1 J. Natl. Security L. & Pol'y 455 (2005).
- Memorandum from the U.S. Department of Justice, Office of Legal Counsel, to Alberto Gonzalez, Counsel to the President (Aug. 1, 2002) ("Torture Memorandum").
- Kathleen Clark, Government Lawyers and Confidentiality Norms, 85 Wash. U. L. Rev. 1033 (2007).
- Jesselyn Radack, The Government Attorney-Whistleblower and the Rule of Confidentiality: Compatible at Last, 17 Geo. J. Legal Ethics 125(2003).
- League of California Cities, Practicing Ethics: A Handbook for Municipal Lawyers (2004).
- Cal. Rules of Prof'l Conduct R. 3-600 (2009).
- Cal. Rules of Prof'l Conduct R. 1.13(Discussion draft, 2008).
- Cal. Rules of Prof'l Conduct R. 3-310 (2009).
- >Cal. Rules of Prof'l Conduct R. 1.7 (Discussion draft, 2008).
- League of California Cities, Ethical Principles for City Attorneys (Oct. 6, 2005).
- City and County of San Francisco v. Cobra Solutions, Inc., 38 Cal. 4th 839 (2006).
- Padilla v. Yoo, No. C 08-00035 JSW (N.D. Cal. June 12, 2009).
- Institute for Local Government, Understanding the Basics of Public Service Ethics: Promoting Personal and Organizational Ethics (2009).
- A.B. 2713, 2003-2004 Sess. (Cal. 2004).(under "Session" select "2003-2004" under "Bill Number" select "2713" then follow "PDF" hyperlink next to "Enrolled")
- Harlan F. Stone, The Public Influence of the Bar, 48 Harv. L. Rev. 1 (1934).
- Vinluan v. Doyle, No. 00219, slip op. (N.Y. App. Div. May 6, 2009).
- Cal. Code Regs. tit. 2, § 18316 (2009).
The conference was presented in cooperation with the County Counsel's Association of California and the Public Law Section of the State Bar of California, and generously sponsored by:
Public Lawyers and the Public Interest: Do Local Government Lawyers Have Special Ethical Obligations?
September 20, 2002, UC Hastings College of the Law, San Francisco, California.
For more information see the: